The correct answers are highlighted in yellow!
- Fill in this sentence: Chloe won _____ dollars from _____ Tatts-lotto scratchies.
a) 4 dollars, 20
b) 19 dollars, 4
c) 4 dollars, 20
d) 19 dollars, 20
2. When was this podcast episode released?
a) Early December 2020
b) 1st January 2020
c) New Year’s Eve 2021
d) New Year’s Day 2021
3. What is Jake’s opinion of the audience’s answers to the first question?
a) Agreement and amusement
b) Disagreement and disappointment
c) Agreement and disappointment
d) Disagreement and amusement
4. Choose the example that best represents Chloe’s idea of an effective resolution.
a) “This year, I’m going to lose weight.”
b) “This year, I’m going to follow an exercise regimen.”
c) “This year, I’m going to improve my life.”
d) “This year, I’m going to become a better person.”
5. Jake talks about a particular answer that used a literary device. What was it?
a) Alliteration, SMART
b) Acrostic, SMART
c) Acrostic, SAMRT
d) Acquisition, SMART
6. Choose the example that best represents Jake’s idea of an effective resolution.
a) Write a story once per week for the whole year
b) Don’t have a resolution at all because they’re too stressful
c) Do various activities that relate to sport (training, joining a sport club etc.)
d) Make a monthly deadline for losing weight (e.g. lose 5 kilos by the end of each month)
7. Chloe states her opinions on resolutions throughout the episode. In which of these statements does she use hyperbole to illustrate a point?
a) “I don’t have the willpower to continue something for a full year and, like, not let it overwhelm me, I suppose.”
b) “As soon as it hits, like, January 1st ’til about February 2nd, the gyms are full. You can’t, like, you cannot get any equipment, the gyms are completely full of people.”
c) “I won nineteen dollars. Nineteen dollars! Tell me anyone who has ever won that much money on a scratchie!”
d) “I almost had an aneurysm saying that.”
8. What is most similar to Chloe and Jake’s dynamic?
a) Employees casually gossiping
b) Friends discussing something they find interesting
c) Strangers having an intense conversation
d) A teacher lecturing a student
9. How would you describe Chloe’s speaking style? Use three adjectives and include one or more piece/s of evidence from the audio (e.g. words she uses, her tone of voice etc.).
Generally, Chloe speaks informally throughout the audio. She continuously uses slang and filler words such as ‘like’. Any adjectives the relate to her informality, modernity or cheeriness would be accepted as a correct answer. Evidence from the audio can range from particular words she uses (e.g. ‘like’) and her intonation (e.g. intonation often rises and falls in a typically ‘Valley Girl teenager’ way).
10. How would you describe Jake’s speaking style? Use three adjectives and include one or more piece/s of evidence from the audio (e.g. words he uses, his tone of voice etc.).
Jake speaks more formally than Chloe but still uses the occasional slang term for a comedic effect. Any adjectives that relate to his formality, seriousness or sarcasm would be accepted as a correct answer. Evidence from the audio can range from particular words he uses (e.g. ‘aneurysm’) and his intonation (e.g. intonation is generally steady and much like an interviewer).
The original passage and questions are here!
Have any questions? Feel free to message or comment! I’m always happy to help. 🙂